A M U R I Z O N forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A M U R I Z O N forums

Online Roleplaying Community

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterAmurizon ArcadeLog in

OOC - Out Of Character

Go down 
+6
safirgar
Snaphin
MeNotHolgar
RaSa
Alterith
Boomerwang
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
RaSa

RaSa

Number of posts : 844
Registration date : 2008-01-30

Character
HP:
OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue9/14OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (9/14)
Offense: +1 BAB
Defense: AC= 17

OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: OOC - Out Of Character   OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 04, 2008 1:00 am

Boomerwang wrote:
Alterith wrote:
RaSa wrote:
Alterith wrote:
Boomerwang wrote:
[items] will expire when Used, OR Chapter 1 ends.
lol, and here I thought we could only use them on the old forum...or are we still playing over there...I'm confused Razz
he just said we could use them until the end of chapter 1..... did you not understand?
I got that, but are we finishing chapter one on the other forum? Because before he said that they wouldn't carry over. That's all I'm asking.

Ben is right - originally my intention was that they wouldn't carry over. However, that was also when I wanted to finish Chapter 1 on the old SetBB forums. Trevor transfered all of his material to the new site and was wondering if he could just use the new site (i.e. "can we let them know what the new site URL is"). I didn't want to have divided forums, so I moved over too.

Since that sort of messed up the original plan, I changed the procedure to the one outlined above and then forgot to tell everybody I had updated my plan by moving earlier.

Maybe by coincidence, Andrew just happened to follow the new procedure without questioning the old one, but that ended up correct.

Sorry for the confusion! And yes, we are finishing Chapter 1 here in the new forums.

I always find that following the DM's word blindly usually works and keeps you alive lol!
Back to top Go down
MeNotHolgar

MeNotHolgar

Number of posts : 895
Registration date : 2008-01-29

Character
HP:
OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue16/33OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (16/33)
Offense: Init +3, Melee/Range +8/+6
Defense: AC: Full 20/ Touch 13/ Flat Footed 17

PostSubject: Re: OOC - Out Of Character   OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 04, 2008 1:11 am

oh, i'll append my post, but i am using each item i purchased (hard skin, bfg and omnislash)... assuming i understand the usage. it applies the bonus to the next time that type of action comes up, yes? so if i use a ranged attack this round only the BFG would be used and not the omnislash? then if i attack melee in the following round the omnislash would be used? and whenever i am next hit with melee damage (regardless of how many rounds that takes assuming it is still in ch. 1) it has reduction of 1 based on the hard skin?

clarification please so i know we're on the same page. thanks!
Back to top Go down
MeNotHolgar

MeNotHolgar

Character
HP:
OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue16/33OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (16/33)

PostSubject: Re: OOC - Out Of Character   OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 9:44 am

quick question - is there some kind of secret, hidden thread in the technical section? it kept telling me there was a new post there, but I clicked on every thread I could see and still it said there were unread posts. When I tried clicking on the 'take me to the newest post' link from the forums 'home' page, it said I did not have special permissions to view that page... really all I want is for it to stop saying there are new posts, because even clicking 'mark all posts read' hasn't worked.

so is this an issue with the forums (and secret threads?) or with my computer/iexplorer just being stupid?
Back to top Go down
Boomerwang
Admin
Boomerwang

Number of posts : 825
Registration date : 2008-01-13

Character
HP:
OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue1/0OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
Offense:
Defense:

PostSubject: Re: OOC - Out Of Character   OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 10:48 am

Yeah, there is a concealed sub-forum I use for on-the-fly notes.

I think it's an issue with the forums - even though I set the permissions to "no one but the DM" apparently it's still showing the thread update. Question
Back to top Go down
https://amurizon.rpg-board.net
Alterith

Alterith

Number of posts : 755

Character
HP:
OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue31/21OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (31/21)
Offense: Melee:+7, Range:+9
Defense: AC:18

PostSubject: Re: OOC - Out Of Character   OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 1:28 pm

Yup, I got the same problem, and it's not limited to ie alex.
Back to top Go down
Alterith

Alterith

Character
HP:
OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue31/21OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (31/21)

PostSubject: Re: OOC - Out Of Character   OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 1:31 pm

So, um, Jerry, were you gonna explain the enemy who has suddenly materialized behind us? Is that the disabled automaton or someone new you just failed to mention? Big scary black dots with full health scare me Sad
Back to top Go down
Boomerwang
Admin
Boomerwang

Character
HP:
OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue1/0OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
Offense:
Defense:

PostSubject: Re: OOC - Out Of Character   OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 2:20 pm

That's the automaton.

Edit: Mmm I'll go ahead and make it blue for now.
Back to top Go down
Alterith

Alterith

Character
HP:

PostSubject: Re: OOC - Out Of Character   OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 3:41 pm

Just make it a red empty circle if you want to leave it in place, as it has no "life" or its at least unable to act...or is it just playing dead so it can destroy us when our backs are turned? I'm worried
Back to top Go down
Boomerwang
Admin
Boomerwang

Character
HP:
Offense:
Defense:

PostSubject: Re: OOC - Out Of Character   OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 6:27 pm

Good idea! Yeah, I'll do that next time.

Why are you worried? I'm not worried. study
Back to top Go down
RaSa

RaSa

Character
HP:
OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue9/14OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (9/14)

PostSubject: Re: OOC - Out Of Character   OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 7:42 pm

Problems......

1) This may be a slight issue with my knowledge of the rules...... but I stated that i shot, and then quickly moved around the corner.....allowing for both the party to rush past me, and me to get out of harms way. I still appear to be right in front of the group, and totally in harm's way...... as i just got fairly injured....

2) my AC comes from 10 + Dex + wis (class related), effectively a 17. so you must understand why i'm ever so slightly confused when you mentioned light armor that i'm not wearing :)

please clarify :)
Back to top Go down
Boomerwang
Admin
Boomerwang

Character
HP:
Offense:
Defense:

PostSubject: Re: OOC - Out Of Character   OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 10:59 pm

Okay, that's fine. I just missed that part.

I know the map wasn't posted at the time you declared your action, but just a friendly reminder for everybody, don't forget to declare the spaces you move to and so forth.

As a general reminder, I'm liable to interpret any actions taken without corresponding technical explanations as roleplaying fluff. This means real attacks come with attack rolls, real skill uses come with the skills/abilities they are utilizing, real movements come with spaces on the grid moved to.

This was a good opportunity to bring this up again. So just know that I'm not picking on you at all, since it wasn't your doing this time.

2) Yeah I couldn't remember what you were wearing. Guess that's what movie critics call a "continuity error." =)
Back to top Go down
MeNotHolgar

MeNotHolgar

Character
HP:

PostSubject: Re: OOC - Out Of Character   OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2008 12:04 am

eh, as long as it's only in the 'flavor text' then who cares, right? (re: light armor)
Back to top Go down
Snaphin

Number of posts : 305

Character
HP:
OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue12/18OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (12/18)
Offense: Init +4; Melee +5; Ranged +6
Defense: AC 20; Touch AC 14; Flat footed AC 16;

PostSubject: Re: OOC - Out Of Character   OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2008 1:54 am

Jerry, just for your info, I've bought hard skin and reserve tank. Hehe, don't have quite the "cash" on hand compared to the others.

Anyways, did you want us (Alex and I) to reroll the initiative we posted earlier or just copy them down to the new post? (Sorry, we probably jumped the gun a little bit).
Back to top Go down
Boomerwang
Admin
Boomerwang

Character
HP:
Offense:
Defense:

PostSubject: Re: OOC - Out Of Character   OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2008 2:05 am

Thanks Zadok, ok noted.

To everyone, just a friendly reminder to keep track of your own items. But I really appreciate you guys taking the initiative to tell me what you guys got. Honor system. Be good! =)

I've got another idea I'm thinking about using for the enemy's life status, which would be like diminishing the red ring around the black circle. That'd be kinda cool, and now that I'm using Photoshop (hooray!) it'll be more efficient to do, sorta.
Back to top Go down
RaSa

RaSa

Character
HP:

PostSubject: Re: OOC - Out Of Character   OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2008 2:16 am

Can i have my hitpoints back, as rasa would never just stand watching the enemy fire something at him, like i stated in the post? :'(
Back to top Go down
safirgar

safirgar

Number of posts : 111

Character
HP:
OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue8/8OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (8/8)
Offense: damage: 1d6+2, attack: Melee: +2, Rng.: +2, Init: +2
Defense: AC: 15, flat footed: 13

PostSubject: Re: OOC - Out Of Character   OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2008 2:53 am

you can get out of the way and let the real fighters do their job elf.
Back to top Go down
MeNotHolgar

MeNotHolgar

Character
HP:

PostSubject: Re: OOC - Out Of Character   OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2008 8:48 am

oh snap! burned!

but on a serious note, remember that this isn't like pre-revolutionary war fighting. the two sides don't line up and shoot at each other until enough people are dead for the battle to be over. D&D is basing their system on the assumption that you are bobbing and weaving during the course of battle (hence your dex bonus to AC) and that a successful hit has overcome both any protective equipment you are wearing and your ability to avoid the attack. depending on if it was a spell that was used, the reptilian may have been able to bypass all of that (ie. magic missile) due to the nature of the spell. if it was merely an attack, it was probably just a good shot.

obviously it's up to jerry, but we can't all be the hollywood action here that miraculously never gets shot...
Back to top Go down
RaSa

RaSa

Character
HP:

PostSubject: Re: OOC - Out Of Character   OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2008 2:02 pm

regardless of whether it was a good hit or not, i still shouldn't be in front of the group. Even if by some merical i DID get hit, i would expect to be a nice distance behind the other 3, as that's what i intended on doing and stated that i was doing in the first place. That's why i'm a bit confused about the whole bit, as well as slightly angered that i got hit in the first place. my post specifically states: "rasa fires and then dives around the corner for cover, allowing his friends to finish of what's left" I'm not quite sure how that could be misinterperated, but whatever...... and to address the "didn't give movement" point, i didn't have a grid to go off of, so i did my best to describe what i wanted to do.

and to gary..... i tried to do just that. i don't EVER want to be in the front.
Back to top Go down
safirgar

safirgar

Character
HP:
OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue8/8OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (8/8)

PostSubject: Re: OOC - Out Of Character   OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2008 3:40 pm

then why did you go first? i guess you didn't dive fast enough. perhaps it was a miracle shot, but regardless, if the DM says you got hit, you got hit.
Back to top Go down
Alterith

Alterith

Character
HP:

PostSubject: Re: OOC - Out Of Character   OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2008 6:01 pm

The only character who could truly reach you would be skythar, the rest of us wouldn't act until after you and the creature both take one action. We see you go around the corner, in game terms you each ready a weapon and fire at each other, you shoot first, then the monster acts. Even if you move away it can still pursue you. After your first actions we begin our actions which are to come rushing forward and launch our various attacks on the lizard creature. As to hitting you, whatever he attacked you with is a spell, so I don't understand why you don't get a reflex save, but it may be some variation that makes it just a projectile attack roll, that's jerry's prerogative. On another note, you can't move into position, attack and move out of combat all in the same action. The problem here is like Jerry said, the difference between flavor text and game mechanics.

Pure Mechanics: Rasa has initiative, he moves around the corner with weapon already drawn, sees the creature and attacks. This is a legal action. His attack is a hit. The creature having the lower initiative has a weapon in hand and turns and then fires at you. His attack is successful. The rest of the group's initiative now comes into play (in mechanics sense we didn't actually notice the encounter previous to your actions so we fail to act in the first round of combat. Now Alterith acts at the top of initiative, his action is to close the distance to your location (I am unable to make an attack as my movement is only 30 and it is 60 to make it to where the creature is located, however a full round of move will put me in range to attack next round. The others will have a similar situation. In the second round you would dive back past the fighters who are rushing past you. This is really the only way it makes sense. The added flavor text makes it more confusing, but that would be the basic mechanical version. Make sense?
Back to top Go down
RaSa

RaSa

Character
HP:

PostSubject: Re: OOC - Out Of Character   OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2008 6:53 pm

no..... does not make sense.

Pure mechanics:
potential surprise round: Rasa sneaks into the room, and the creature and rasa both notice each other.

End of surprise round

Rasa's action: Quick to react, Rasa makes a quick attack FROM WHERE HE WAS STANDING, and then moves his allowed 30 feet behind the wall. Creature would no longer have a visable target. I should have in theory be passing you guys going in a rightward direction on the map, while you guys were going leftward, and about to go upward around the corner towards the creature. I'm allowed to either move then attack, or attack then move. I chose the second action, so i should be out of his vision on his action according to the game mechanics.
Back to top Go down
Boomerwang
Admin
Boomerwang

Character
HP:
Offense:
Defense:

PostSubject: Re: OOC - Out Of Character   OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2008 7:42 pm

For the record, yes, you got sudden strike.

The discussion has been good, and while both sides present very good arguments... I'm intentionally refraining from clarifying. The 'light armor' fluff could be interpreted as a mistake (after all I forgot that Rasa doesn't wear armor) but besides that everything's spot on.

Last edited by on Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:12 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
MeNotHolgar

MeNotHolgar

Character
HP:

PostSubject: Re: OOC - Out Of Character   OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2008 7:51 pm

unless combat started when you made your move down the hall. even if you were to attack then move, he could still be able to get a shot at you (especially if it is a spell) with the difference being you would potentially gain a cover bonus. this bonus is essentially an AC bonus which could easily be negated by a good attack roll.

furthermore, from my understanding of the rules on page 137 of the PHB, a surprise round only happens if some combatants are unaware. seeing as the combat had already started (skythar vs. Jinam) all combatants know there are enemies. additionally, because you are joining a combat in progress, a surprise round would have happened already (Jinam attacks skythar). i could be way off base with any of these interpretations, really i'm just attempting to make sense of the current scenario. eventually it'll come down to a ruling by Jerry, because as most of us know (as proved by Jameel [sp?]) the player wields no power when compared with a DM.
Back to top Go down
Alterith

Alterith

Character
HP:

PostSubject: Re: OOC - Out Of Character   OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2008 7:58 pm

Jerry already made his ruling, but Alex is right in this, there is no surprise round in this instance as both combatants are aware of the others. The lizard creature was getting a weapon after moving back into the room, the surprise round isn't a first round, unless there is surprise. Otherwise, in every combat, you would get a free round to move up on an enemy while they move towards you, but it doesn't work that way, you only have a surprise round when one side surprises an unsuspecting enemy. In this instance neither side surprised the other side, you knew he was in there, and he knew we were out there. His weapon was in hand, or he has quickdraw (flavor text not withstanding) and so both combatants were prepared for combat. So it would just be like any other combat, initiative occurs, and actions proceed, your initiative was to move into the room and then to make an attack, if you chose not to attack then you would just have entered the room and he would have shot you, then you would have fired and jumped back as we all ran past you, either way you take the damage.
Back to top Go down
safirgar

safirgar

Character
HP:

PostSubject: Re: OOC - Out Of Character   OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2008 10:18 pm

lesson learned from this: use skills like hide and move silently if you're a ninja and have low hp.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OOC - Out Of Character   OOC - Out Of Character - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

OOC - Out Of Character
Page 2 of 15Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next